Our network

Family of Alyssa Otremba still seeking justice after 5 years

The family of a 15-year-old Arbor View High School freshman who was raped and killed in 2011 is still seeking justice.

The case has been dragging on in the court system, but the Nevada Supreme Court just upheld a lower court decision to reject Javier Righetti's guilty plea and send the case to trial.

Righetti's plea did not include an admission that the killing was premeditated which basically voided the plea deal.

Righetti continues to sit in jail more than five years after police say he killed and then burned 15-year-old Alyssa Otremba's body just yards away from her parents' home.

The victim's family is grateful the trial can now proceed. They plan on fighting until justice is served.

"It is a victory and I think that it's important our case has set a lot of precedence," said Jennifer Craig Otremba, Alyssa's mother... Read More

Community Sponsors

Las Vegas's Premier Steak House & Fine Dining

WARNING: Scammers use NHP and names of charitable groups to seek donations

Scammers are preying on the kind hearts of Nevada residents, and they're using the Nevada Highway Patrol to do it.

NHP said it had received several complaints from citizens who said they were being solicited for donations on behalf of various police charitable originations.

NHP said the scam artists use a local phone number to conduct the con, and according to some callers, they were solicited from someone posing as a representative of the American Association of State Troopers, along with the Officer Down Charities for the Nevada Highway Patrol and the Nevada Highway Patrol itself.

When a person refuses to donate, NHP said witnesses told them the scammer would threaten unfair treatment from Troopers in the future.

"We want the community to be aware of this fraudulent activity and be sure to protect their personal information," NHP said... Read More

CCSD school bus involved in crash

A Clark County School District bus was involved in a crash with a pickup truck this morning at Martin Luther King Boulevard and Washington Avenue.

There were four students on the bus. No one was injured. Another bus retrieved the students and took them to school.

According to police, the driver of the pickup truck failed to yield the right of way when making a left turn in front of the bus. The crash happened around 6:15 a.m... Read More

DUI suspect accused of killing teen driver appears in court

The man accused of causing a car crash that left a 16-year-old boy dead made his first appearance in a Las Vegas court Monday morning.

David Fensch, 47, is accused of rear-ending Jalean Fajardo's Honda Accord near Farm Road and Durango Drive on Thursday, Feb. 9.

The judge called Fensch, "An absolute danger to the Clark County community."

Fensch, who has four previous DUI's, is facing a felony vehicular manslaughter charge. He is also accused of speeding and driving without a license.

Fajardo's family members were in the courtroom for the hearing. After the hearing, they thanked the community for the outpouring of support they have received.

No bail was set.

The state asked for five days to file a criminal complaint. The judge will reassess bail at that time.

Fensch is currently being held in the Clark County Detention Center.

Fensch is due back in court on Feb. 21... Read More

Community Sponsors

Las Vegas's Premier Steak House & Fine Dining

Rear-end collisions: Exploring the crash that killed 16-year-old Jaelan Farjardo

NHP investigators are working hard to determine just how fast 47-year-old David Fensch was going when he crashed into the back of 16-year-old Jaelan Farjardo's car, but so far, authorities say the impact was powerful enough to send Jaelan's Honda Accord skidding hundreds of feet across the intersection.

NHP traffic homicide detectives said Fensch's vehicle slammed into the back of Jaelan's car which was waiting at a stop sign. The teen was on his way to school.

Both Fensch and Jaelan were hurt, but according to troopers, Fensch's injuries were minor, but Jelan died at the hospital... Read More

Report details porn case against Arbor View athletic director

A longtime athletic director at Arbor View High School told a 17-year-old student he could get paid if he was willing to take photos of himself in his underwear, according to the arrest report for Roger Brown.

Brown, 54, was arrested Tuesday. He faces one count of using or permitting a minor to produce porn.

The teen contacted a school official who contacted police.

According to the report, the teen approached Brown saying he heard that Brown sold marijuana on the side. Brown replied, he had many side businesses where the student could make money.

The student met with Brown again and recorded the conversation on his phone... Read More

Details emerge in child porn case against high school athletic director

More is being learned about the child pornography allegations against a longtime athletic director at Arbor View High School.

Roger Brown, 54, was arrested Tuesday and is being held without bail. He faces one count of using or permitting a minor to produce porn.

Clark County School District Police officials say the victim is a 17-year-old male student who alerted school officials that Brown texted him asking for photographs.

"What I can say is that the requests for photographs were inappropriate in nature and could be considered requests for pornographic photos," said Captain Ken Young, CCSD Police.

Brown has been with CCSD for 28 years serving as an athletic director and PE instructor among other roles at Arbor View.

He was honored as the Athletic Director of the Year in 2014. He is currently on administrative leave. His first court appearance is scheduled for Friday.

... Read More